December 2003 - The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently approved the sale and marketing of a new solution for peritoneal dialysis (EXTRANEAL). Because of its unique properties and novel osmotic agent, this new solution is expected to receive wide interest in the nephrology community and be used in as many as a third of patients on peritoneal dialysis.
Patients receiving EXTRANEAL (icodextrin) for peritoneal dialysis therapy may have falsely elevated blood glucose results when using blood glucose monitoring systems containing the enzyme glucose dehydrogenase pyrroloquinolinequinone (GDH-PQQ).
A false high blood glucose reading could result in a patient to get more insulin than they need. Furthermore, a blood glucose reading with these monitors within the normal range in a patient on EXTRANEAL may be masking low blood sugar. This would cause a patient or healthcare professionals not to take the appropriate steps to bring the blood sugar into a normal range. These particular glucose monitors must not be used for patients using EXTRANEAL. Blood glucose measurements must be done with a glucose specific method, (monitor and test strips) to avoid interference by Extraneal metabolites.
The following list is for reference only. Please consult the product information included with your glucose monitors and test strips or contact the glucose monitor and/or test strip manufacturer to verify if the monitor and/or test strip measures only glucose. The list simply provides the telephone number(s) of the more common brands of glucose monitors and test strips for the dialysis unit, healthcare professional or patient to call.
- Glucose monitor brand: Ascensia Breeze (available 3Q 2003), Ascensia Dex 2, Ascentia Elite XL, Ascentia Elite
- Manufacturer: Bayer Corporation
- Phone: 800-348-8100
- Website: http://www.ascensia.com/us/products.html
- Glucose monitor brand: Prestige IQ Prestige LX
- Manufacturer: Home Diagnostics, Inc.
- Phone: 800/342-7226
- Website: http://www.hdidiabetes.com
- Glucose monitor brand: Quick Tek, Assure Supreme II, Select GT, Hypoguard Advance, Assure II, Assure 3
- Manufacturer: Hypoguard USA, Inc
- Phone: 800/818-8877, Option #5
- Website: http://www.hypoguard.com/products/products_meters.asp
- Glucose monitor brand: One Touch Ultra, One Touch Ultrasmart InDuo, One Touch SureStep, One Touch Profile, One Touch Basic, One Touch FastTake
- Manufacturer: Lifescan, Inc (Division of Johnson & Johnson)
- Phone: 800/227-8862
- Website: http://www.lifescan.com
- Glucose monitor brand: MediSense Optium, MediSense Precision PCx, MediSense, Precision Xtra, MediSense Sof-Tact, Precision Q.I.D., Exac-Tek, Precision Link, Kroger Private Label, MediSense
- Manufacturer: MediSense / Abbott Laboratories
- Phone: 800/527-3339 or 800/527-1869, Option #6
- Website: http://www.glucerna-precision.com & www.wsff.com/relion/index.html
- Glucose monitor brand: Accu-Chek, Advantage Accu-Chek, Complete Accu-Chek Active, Accu-Chek Compact, Accu-Chek Simplicity, Accu-Chek Voicemate
- Manufacturer: Roche Diagnostics/Roche Diagnostics USA
- Phone: 800/858-8072
- Website: http://www.accu-chek.com
- Glucose monitor brand: FreeStyle Tracker Freestyle
- Manufacturer: TheraSense, Inc.
- Phone: 888-522-5226
- Website: http://www.therasense.com
Source: Baxter Laboratories